The Nakhon Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Rock 99 is still alive
What language is spoken in the office? EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 4:35 pm by Gold member

» Twin Lotus Fushon
What language is spoken in the office? EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 4:30 pm by Gold member

» Buddy Pub/Disco
What language is spoken in the office? EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 4:27 pm by Gold member

» Casanova Disco
What language is spoken in the office? EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 4:25 pm by Gold member

» Lifestyle - what's it like?
What language is spoken in the office? EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 4:23 pm by Gold member

» McDonalds is in NST
What language is spoken in the office? EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 4:21 pm by Gold member

» EP SOUTH RESULTS 2012
What language is spoken in the office? EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 4:17 pm by Gold member

» Attacked outside D'Pelican
What language is spoken in the office? EmptyMon Jun 11, 2012 11:07 am by Its Raining

» Tired and more tired
What language is spoken in the office? EmptySun Jun 03, 2012 9:42 pm by Its Raining

July 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

What language is spoken in the office?

5 posters

Go down

What language is spoken in the office? Empty What language is spoken in the office?

Post by Snowflake Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:44 am

I am so tired of telling the Thais to speak English in the office when they talk to students and themselves... The problem is that is seems none of the other foreigners in the office seems to care what language they speak, why not? Am I a bastard about this? Is it too much problems to try to speak English to the students and in the office where people are?It must be better for the everyone if we try to speak English all the time, right?What can I do to make sure that everyone tries to speak English all the time?Any suggestions??? 
Snowflake
Snowflake
Silent Assassin
Silent Assassin

Back to top Go down

What language is spoken in the office? Empty Re: What language is spoken in the office?

Post by C-Bert Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:48 am

My school (prathom dept) charges the students 1 baht for every Thai word they speak. However, this is used only in the classroom. I'm not sure you could make this work in the office unless you have everyone on board, which it appears you don't.
C-Bert
C-Bert
Hitman
Hitman

Back to top Go down

What language is spoken in the office? Empty Re: What language is spoken in the office?

Post by Admin Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:27 pm

Snowflake wrote:I am so tired of telling the Thais to speak English in the office when they talk to students and themselves... The problem is that is seems none of the other foreigners in the office seems to care what language they speak, why not? Am I a bastard about this? Is it too much problems to try to speak English to the students and in the office where people are?It must be better for the everyone if we try to speak English all the time, right?What can I do to make sure that everyone tries to speak English all the time?Any suggestions???

I hear you! But, if you don't know by now that you are trying to push a heavy ball up a steep hill, you never will.

As for the other foreigners in the office (why bring them into your rant? ) ...... they all speak English, unlike you as you seem incapable of saying a sentence without adding a 'na' at the end of it. What's that all about then?

What language is spoken in the office? 522487
Admin
Admin
Assassin's Grim Reaper!

http://www.nakhonsrithammarat.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowflake Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:52 pm

Would be nice if the other foreigners helped me to make the Thais speak English in the office... also to the students... That way, I will not always look like the big a-hole... 
As for the Naa at the end of some sentences, it is just a bad habbit I have caught up with... I will try to stop that... Not so easy... 
As for the heavy ball, you could say that it part of your job too, do you not teach the students to speak English? or since it is difficult, you have just given up???
I don't give up just because things get tough... I just have to try harder then...
Snowflake
Snowflake
Silent Assassin
Silent Assassin

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowflake Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:54 pm

As for yourself, it might be a good idea to stop complaining about the lack of English skills when it comes to spelling or sentences on posters, as it is an uphill battle as well... 
Snowflake
Snowflake
Silent Assassin
Silent Assassin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:06 pm

Wot r u on about na?
Admin
Admin
Assassin's Grim Reaper!

Back to top Go down

Post by Gillo Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:42 pm

We don't give up.....We just don't like continually pissin' into the wind!!!!

There is no bonus structure in place for teachers here bustin' their balls to 'make thai students speak English' and if the system in place passes all dimwits and no hopers then it's hard to find oneself going over and above the call of 'duty' as an English teacher here.

Concentrating on the 2%-5% of students who actually see the benefits of English for furthering their careers would be more beneficial if not least giving you less stress and heartache and providing a more peaceful working environment. What language is spoken in the office? 522487

You can't teach these young dogs new tricks when the old dogs keep telling them they are geniuses (in their mother tongue)!!
Gillo
Gillo
Hitman
Hitman

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowflake Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:24 pm

i know what you mean Gillo.. But, what about telling the old dogs to speak english? its our job to help students to speak
more english, does that stop when you leave the class room? Or does it continue when you are in the office?
Snowflake
Snowflake
Silent Assassin
Silent Assassin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:07 pm

Of course the idea is to get them speaking English but in a Thai school, where 90% of their time is spent speaking their mother tongue, you are facing an uphill challenge of monstrous proportions. You've been here long enough now to realize that, haven't you?
Admin
Admin
Assassin's Grim Reaper!

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowflake Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:51 pm

And that means I should just give up??? No!!!
Besides, the boss comes to me and ask me why I let everyone speak Thai...
Our office is no longer an English Programme Office, it has now changed names and is now called a Foreign Language Office!!!
Snowflake
Snowflake
Silent Assassin
Silent Assassin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:11 pm

Ah well, good luck.
Admin
Admin
Assassin's Grim Reaper!

Back to top Go down

Post by Gold member Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:54 pm

sounds as if someone is upset about something
Gold member
Ninja
Ninja

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down